The Balmain Industrial School was established at Balmain in 1910 by the Sisters of the Good Samaritan. The Sisters had conducted primary, secondary and boarding schools at Balmain since the 1860s and when the Manly Industrial School and Orphanage closed, Cardinal Moran allowed them to use the Balmain Convent for a domestic training school for the older girls. The School closed in 1924.
The Sisters of the Good Samaritan made a foundation at Balmain in 1864 and were engaged in primary and secondary teaching. They also conducted a boarding school for young ladies.
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, https://clan.org.au/wp-content/uploads/2020/10/connectkin_guide.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 8 March 2011, Last modified: 9 December 2013