Maryville Mothers' Hospital, in Curry Street Merewether, was a maternity hospital run by the Salvation Army. As well as providing services to local women, this was a hospital from which adoptions were arranged. Maryville Mothers' Hospital had its name changed to Hillcrest Mothers' Hospital in 1933.
Maryville Mothers' Hospital was established in the building formerly called 'The Ridge'. The official opening occurred on Saturday 4 July 1925, though it had already begun operating as a maternity hospital and 25 babies at been born.
The name Maryville was chosen for the hospital in honour of Mrs Mary Longworth who opened the hospital.
Sources used to compile this entry: 'Maternity Hospital - Salvation Army Enterprise - The Official Opening', Newcastle Morning Herald and Miners' Advocate (NSW), 6 July 1925, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article137836093; 'The Ridge', in State Heritage Register, NSW Office of Environment and Heritage, http://www.environment.nsw.gov.au/heritageapp/ViewHeritageItemDetails.aspx?ID=2170128; The Salvation Army Australia Eastern Territory, 'Submission 46: EASTERN TERRITORY SOCIAL CENTRES: A list of openings, closings, and function', in Inquiry into Children in Institutional Care - Submissions received by the committee as at 17/3/05, Senate Community Affairs Committee, Commonwealth of Australia, June 2003, http://www.aph.gov.au/Parliamentary_Business/Committees/Senate/Community_Affairs/Completed_inquiries/2004-07/inst_care/submissions/sublist; Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Melissa Downing and Naomi Parry
Created: 9 March 2011, Last modified: 13 July 2016