Cronulla Children's Home was established in 1916 by the Sydney City Mission. It operated as a holiday home except for years 1942-45 when it was used as a Boys' Home while Stonehaven at Springwood was being used by the Defence Forces. From 1945 it accommodated children whose home life had become temporarily or permanently disrupted. Cronulla Children's Home was renamed Cowley House around 1946.
1916 - 1946 Cronulla Children's Home
1946 - 1976 Cowley House
Sources used to compile this entry: Thinee, Kristy and Bradford, Tracy, Connecting Kin: Guide to Records, A guide to help people separated from their families search for their records [completed in 1998], New South Wales Department of Community Services, Sydney, New South Wales, 1998, http://nma.gov.au/blogs/inside/files/2011/02/connectkin_guide1.pdf.
Prepared by: Naomi Parry
Created: 21 March 2011, Last modified: 7 November 2017