St Paul's School for the Blind opened in 1957 in Kew and was run by the Villa Maria Society. It admitted some wards, and operated two residential units in Kew and Alphington. Its current address is 13 Fernhurst Grove, Kew. It was previously listed as 6 Studley Park Road Kew.
St Paul's School for the Blind was run by the Villa Maria Society, which was formerly the Catholic Braille Writers' Association of Victoria from 1907 to 1948. Brother O'Neill (d.1968), a Christian Brother, was the first principal.
As this facility admitted wards from time to time, it was declared an Approved Children's Home pursuant to Section 14(1)(a) of the Children's Welfare Act 1958 in 1959 (ie a Category II Children's Home: caring for children who are physically or mentally handicapped, including wards).
St Paul's also operated two smaller residential units in Kew and Alphington which were designated Approved Children's Homes.
Sources used to compile this entry: James Jenkinson Consulting, Guide to out-of-home care services 1940-2000 - Volume One: Agency Descriptions, Department of Human Services, Unpublished, November 2001, https://www.childabuseroyalcommission.gov.au/sites/default/files/DHS.3004.011.0367.pdf.
Prepared by: Cate O'Neill
Created: 2 October 2009, Last modified: 30 October 2018