The Seaside Home at Frankston was established in 1901. It was originally intended to be a holiday home for the boys from Melbourne Ragged Boys' Home but from 1904 boys were placed permanently in Frankston. In 1924, Seaside Home, Frankston became Minton Boys' Home.
In 1901, William Minton the superintendent of Melbourne Ragged Boys' Home, made the decision to rent 'Pine Hill', on Olivers Hill, Frankston from a Mr Wells for 8/ - per week under a three year lease. Minton named it Seaside Home and the decision was made that some of the boys from the Boys' Home could visit on weekends and in school holidays.
'Pine Hill' house was bought for £250 in 1904 and by October of that year eighteen boys were permanently living there with Mrs Bolger as Matron. This was a successful venture with lots of support from local people and businesses and another twenty boys were transferred in 1905 from the Melbourne Ragged Boys' Home.
More boys continued to be transferred to the Seaside Home and in 1913 a new wing was added to accommodate the growing numbers.
In 1922 the house "Holcombe' and five acres of land adjoining the Home at Frankston were purchased. At this time seventy boys attended the Seaside Home. School No.4136 was established in a room within Holcombe with the State providing a teacher and supplies. A large vegetable garden was also established within the grounds for the boys to work on.
On 14 October 1924 Seaside Home, Frankston became Minton Boys Home in recognition of the work of the Honorary Superintendent William Minton and his wife Mabel who had been the Matron.
Prepared by: Nicola Laurent
Created: 10 February 2015, Last modified: 26 April 2016