Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
The Find & Connect website is changing soon Read more
Western Australia - Organisation

St Gerard's Hospital (1944 - c. 1972)

From
1944
To
c. 1972
Categories
Catholic, Home, Hospital and Maternity Home
Alternative Names
  • St Gerard's Maternity Hospital (also known as)

St Gerard's Hospital was a maternity hospital for 'unmarried women' run by the Sisters of Mercy. St Gerard's opened in 1944 and closed in 1971 or 1972. The building that was St Gerard's was refurbished as a group home called 'Davis House', which was part of the Catherine McAuley Family Centre.

Details

The Foundation Stone for St Gerard's was laid in 1938 but a heritage study has found that the hospital was not opened until 1944.

Events

1944 - c. 1972
Location - St Gerard's Hospital, a maternity hospital run by the Sisters of Mercy, was located on the site of the St Vincent's Foundling Home on Barrett Street, Subiaco. Location: Subiaco

Run By

Related Glossary Terms

Related Organisations

Publications

Online Resources

Prepared by: Debra Rosser