In 1949 Mrs Jean Macleod transferred 937 acres to the Church Property Trust, and later, further property, together with the Bungarimbil homestead and outbuildings. Bishop KJ Clements planned Bungarimbil, intending it would be 'a real home'.
A bequest of $30,000 from the Estate of the late Mrs Ruby Woodhouse was made available to the Church Property Trust, the interest of which was to be used for the Bungarimbil Boys' Home.
By early 1957 the Bungarimbil Boys' Farm Home had the first intake of boys and by September there were 12. Bungarimbil was staffed by house parents. An auxiliary provided amenities for the home.
Reverend John Brain and his wife were the first house parents at Bungarimbil Boys' Home in 1957. Another house parent, John Locke, was a former resident of Bungarimbil Boys' Home. In the 1960s, Bert Kennett and his wife and Reverend Moore and his wife were house parents. Jim Wenham and his wife were house parents at Bungarimbil Boys' Home around 1961. Margaret Phillips and her husband Frank were house parents at Bungarimbil Boys' Home for over three years leaving in 1976.
High demand for accommodation for boys led to the expansion of the home. In April, 1961, a contract was signed for the building of a second home at the cost of $32,000. The opening of the new 52 sq. Edna Burgmann Boys' Home took place on 25th November, 1961, and was dedicated by Bishop Clements. The official 'turning of the key' was performed by Mgrs. Clements.
The home operated until 1983. In March 2013 'Bungarimbil' was a private house, for sale as an eight bedroom, 54 square metre house on nine acres.
09 November 2021
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/nsw/NE00089
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License