St Mary's Home, Toowong was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act until 1959. It was licensed again on 11 February 1975. Funding ceased in 1981/82 but the home continued to operate.
According to an article published in The Courier-Mail in 1944, St Mary's Home, Toowong, women typically stayed at St Mary's Home for approximately four months after giving birth. The majority of the women who stayed at St Mary's were between the ages of 17 and 19. Most of the babies born to women at the home were put up for adoption.
Beatrice Wood was in charge of St Mary's Home, Taringa, in 1907. Miss E. Taylor was matron of St Mary's Home Toowong from 1924 to 1944. Ivy McGregor was matron of St Mary's Home Toowong in 1951 and 1952.
Reverend Canon Campbell was Chaplain to the St Mary's Home and Refuge, Toowong, in 1929.
St Mary's Home, Toowong, was mentioned in the Commonwealth Contribution to Former Forced Adoption Policies and Practices Report (2012) as an institution that was involved in forced adoption.
1919-1991: St Mary's Home, Toowong was situated at Bent Street, Toowong, Queensland
22 March 2022
Cite this: http://www.findandconnect.gov.au/guide/qld/QE00154
First published by the Find & Connect Web Resource Project for the Commonwealth of Australia, 2011
Except where otherwise noted, content on this site is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License