St George's Orphanage, in Parkhurst (North Rockhampton), was established by the St George's Homes for Children Executive Committee in 1922. Over time, three Homes were established on the site. In 1925, the original Home became known as 'No 1 Home', when the No 2 Home was opened. Another Home, known as the Mothers' Memorial Home or No 3 Home, opened in 1930. This No 3 Home closed in 1931 and was reopened in 1935. The No 1 Home closed in June 1971. Funding for residential care at the Parkhurst site ceased officially in September 1979.
Number 2 Home was licensed under the State Children Act 1911 in 1925. Number 3 Home was licensed under The lnfant Life Protection Act 1905 on 27 March 1936 and under the Children's Services Act 1965 on 4 August 1966.
1917 - 1922 St George's Orphanage, Rockhampton
1922 - 1979 St George's Homes, Rockhampton
1978 - 1980 St George's Family Group Home, Elphinstone Street
1978 - 1982 St George's Family Group Home, Mason Street
Sources used to compile this entry: 'St George's Orphan Homes', Morning Bulletin, 28 March 1922, p. 10, http://nla.gov.au/nla.news-article54002865; Boyce, James, For the Record: Background information on the work of the Anglican Church with Aboriginal Children and Directory of Anglican Agencies providing residential care to children from 1830 to 1980, Anglicare Australia, Melbourne, 2003, 46 pp. p.29.; Central Queensland Family History Association Inc., 'St George's, Parkhurst', in Central Queensland Family History Association Inc, Google Sites, 2013, https://sites.google.com/site/cqfamilyhistory/articles-indexes/history/orphanages/st-george-s-parkhurst; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. p.73.; Email from Dr. R.H.H. Philp, Diocesan Archivist, Diocese of Rockhampton dated 28 August 2013.
Prepared by: Lee Butterworth
Created: 22 June 2011, Last modified: 19 October 2018