Some people may find content on this website distressing. Read more
Queensland - Organisation

Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home (1910 - 1962)

  • Wooloowin State Children's Home, Brisbane, ca. 1931

    Wooloowin State Children's Home, Brisbane, ca. 1931, courtesy of Picture Queensland, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland.
    Details

From
1910
To
1962
Categories
Babies' Home, Children's Home, Government-run, Home and Receiving Home
Alternative Names
  • Wooloowin State Childrens' Home (Also known as)

The Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home, in Wooloowin, was the new name given to the Diamantina Orphanage when it moved from Sandgate in January, 1910. It was run by the government. The Home was renamed the Diamantina Receiving Home in 1962 (in recognition of the charitable work of Lady Diamantina Roma, the wife of Queensland's first Governor, Sir George Bowen).

Details

In October 1909 the "Rowallan" property at 84 Kedron Park Road, Wooloowin, vacated by the Boys' Home, Wooloowin in 1906, was purchased by the State Government from Dr Joseph Smith Clowes of Albion, as the new site for the Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home.

The Diamantina home moved from Sandgate to the new premises at Wooloowin in January 1910. There is no description of the building when it was occupied by the Boys' Home. At the time of purchase by the Government it was described as a large house with 14 rooms on 4 acres 30 perches.

The 1999 report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions stated that the move from Wooloowin in 1910 coincided with a change in function to a receiving depot, where children awaited placement in a foster home (p.34).

One witness to the inquiry who was a resident in the 1930s described feelings of alienation: "You were just a number on the book, or somebody's name on their books. But as far as a person goes, I could have been some dog that wandered in off the street (p.78)."

The name of the facility was changed to Warilda in 1964 and the original building existed until the mid 1960s.

Location

January 1910 - January 1962
Address - Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home was situated at 84 Kedron Park Road, Wooloowin. Location: Wooloowin

Timeline

 1865 - 1910 Diamantina Orphanage
       1910 - 1962 Diamantina Receiving Depot and Infants' Home
             1962 - 1964 Diamantina Receiving Home
                   1964 - 1967 Warilda Children's Home and Warilda Infants' Home
                         1967 - 1989 Warilda Receiving and Assessment Centre

Run By

Related Events

Related Organisations

Publications

Books

  • Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp.19-21. Details

Reports

  • Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Queensland. Department of Families, Youth and Community Care, Brisbane, 1999. pp.33-34, 36. Details

Online Resources

Photos

Wooloowin State Children's Home, Brisbane, ca. 1931"
Title
Wooloowin State Children's Home, Brisbane, ca. 1931
Type
Image
Date
1931
Source
Picture Queensland, John Oxley Library, State Library of Queensland

Details

Sources used to compile this entry: Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Report of the Commission of Inquiry into Abuse of Children in Queensland Institutions, Queensland. Department of Families, Youth and Community Care, Brisbane, 1999. pp.33-34, 36.; Department of Families, Missing pieces: information to assist former residents of children's institutions to access records, State of Queensland, 2001. pp.19-21..

Prepared by: Lee Butterworth